Below is a list of our overarching Educational Technology goals. These are informed by the work of the American Library Association (ALA), the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), and the Partnership for 21st Century Skills (P21.org)
- Digital ethics: onlineprivacy, copyright/fair use, responsibility, appropriate use
- Digital communication: choosing and effectively using different digital tools (like Powerpoint, Pixton, Voicethread, Google Sites, iMovie, etc.) to deliver a message
- Online collaboration: Schoology, blogging, wikis, Twitter, email, etc.
- Innovation: simulations, problem solving, invention, construction, etc.
- Information literacy: library and research skills, effective Internet and library database searching, citation tools and methods
- Media literacy: understanding how message delivery is effected by the tools being used, devloping the ability to understand and judge media
Here are some of the digital tools that students are using in the Middle School computer classroom:
Schoology - Learning Management System (LMS) that makes it easy for teachers to create and share academic content. Used with students starting in grade four.
Google Apps for Education - Web-based email (Gmail), documents (Docs) and websites (Sites) for collaborative study. Used with students starting in grade four.
Discovery Education - Online resources for teachers to enhance and accelerate student achievement.
Library LibGuides - Online library resources for teachers and students to use when working on class projects. Compiled by Yapha Mason, Lower School Librarian.
Kid Pix Deluxe - Creativity software designed for students to explore and discover drawing, painting, stamp, animation and sound tools.
My Digital Studio - Digital design software used to create cards and scrapbook pages that includes customizations such as backgrounds, embellishments, and digital punchouts.
Typing Club - Keyboarding program designed to teach children how to type.
Inspiration - Software that enables students to easily create and update graphic organizers, concept maps and idea maps.
Kidspiration - Visual thinking software that helps students develop thinking, organization, literacy and numeracy skills.
Adobe Design Suite - Powerful creativity design tools that includes Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Fireworks, and Dreamweaver.
Microsoft Office - Production tools that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
VoiceThread - A web-based digital storytelling tool that allows users to share their stories through audio, images, video and/or text. It also allows viewers to make comments on their stories in various ways.
Storybird - Online storytelling tool that uses art to inspire writing.