More than 40 Years of Brentwood School History
IN ITS RELATIVELY SHORT HISTORY, BRENTWOOD SCHOOL HAS GROWN TO BE ONE OF THE PREMIER INDEPENDENT DAY SCHOOLS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. FOUNDED AS A NON-PROFIT CORPORATION IN 1972, BRENTWOOD SCHOOL ACQUIRED THE BRENTWOOD MILITARY ACADEMY, WHICH HAD EXISTED SINCE 1902.
Brentwood School opened in the fall of 1972 as a co-educational, college preparatory day school with Grades 6-10. Grade 11 was added in fall 1973, and the school graduated its first senior class in June 1975.
A Signed Binding Contract with Local Homeowners
Brentwood School is sensitive to the needs of our neighbors. In 1992 we worked in partnership to create our first covenant for land use, enrollment, and growth. In 2006, when we began to formulate our Education Master Plan to improve the student experience at Brentwood School, we continued our collaboration with our neighbors. Together with our residential neighbors (RNBS) and the Brentwood Homeowners Association (BHA), we developed a legally binding East Campus covenant for the next 30 years that provides certainty for our neighbors and supports progress for our school.
30 Year East Campus Covenant Agreements:
- A hard cap on vehicle trips for the next 30 years.
- All improvements will be made within the existing campus boundaries.
- New cap on enrollment, first increase in 23 years.
- Defines allowable square footage, uses, height, and massing of future buildings, and areas of development.
- Construction hours limited to between 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with heavy truck and equipment traffic limited to off peak hours
- Restrictions on operational and construction noise.
- Construction and haul trucks to enter and exit through an alternate routes when possible to avoid major streets
- Parking for school functions continues to be on campus.