Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Fabrication Lab Innovator and Collaborator
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is seeking an experienced Fabrication educator to oversee its Fabrication Lab and engage students and faculty in real-world problem solving beginning August 15, 2019. The Fabrication Lab Innovator and Collaborator is a full-time position and will be responsible for supporting the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership's mission statement and core skills through integration with Brentwood School's K-12 academic and extracurricular programming. This individual should possess a love for working with children alongside a deep knowledge of design thinking, 2D & 3D design, STEAM, building, project-based learning, and tinkering. The Fabrication Innovator and Collaborator will report to the Director of the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership.
It is expected that a successful candidate would:
- Train, guide, and supervise students as they utilize the Fabrication Lab's resources during the school day and afterschool, including students engaging in independent projects
- Develop and showcase to Brentwood faculty models of how to integrate the Fabrication Lab into the K-12 curriculum; provide support and guidance to teachers for ongoing projects and courses connected to the Fabrication Lab
- Provide daily supervision of the Fabrication Lab and develop safety protocols so that access is limited to qualified students
- Develop and teach K-12 courses and programming that utilize the Fabrication Lab's resources and align with the BCIL mission and skills
- Plan and implement special programs such as maker challenges and guest speakers that bring the Brentwood community into the Fabrication Lab and connect community partners to the Fabrication Lab
- Collaborate with the Summer Director to develop courses and programming that utilize the Fabrication Lab
- Maintain the Fabrication Lab, including scheduling, inventory, budgeting, room setup, equipment maintenance and updating (software and hardware)
- Facilitate connections with other maker communities and community partners to promote collaborative opportunities and increased awareness of the BCIL
- Develop a scope and sequence for K-12 programming related to the Fabrication Lab
- Develop criteria and participate in the evaluation of projects created in the Fabrication Lab and tie this criteria to the mission and skills of the BCIL
- Develop opportunities for student leadership connected with the Fabrication Lab
- Pursue ongoing professional development in the fields of fabrication, pedagogy, and technology
- Attend collaborative meetings for the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership and participate on Committees
- Perform additional duties and participate in the life of the school
In addition, a candidate should possess the following qualities:
- An undergraduate degree in a STEM-related field; an advanced degree is preferred
- Experience in an educational makerspace environment
- Classroom teaching experience and strong classroom management skills
- Strong collaboration and cross-cultural competency
- An interest in and openness to professional development
- Commitment to equity and inclusion
- A sense of humor, warmth of personality, and energy
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that better represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school and the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership may be found at www.bwscampus.com. Please submit a letter of interest and a resume to the contact person listed below. In your letter, highlight your education and experience specifically related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Administrative Assistant to the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership and Equity & Inclusion
100 S. Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049