Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Assistant Director of Middle School
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is looking for an Assistant Director of Middle School beginning July, 2021. We are seeking individuals with administrative experience to assist the Middle School Director in maintaining a dynamic environment in the Middle School.
It is expected a successful candidate would:
- Foster a culture of community in Middle School
- Support programming that strengthens student commitment to the Core Values
- Nurture the growth of emotional intelligence and character development of students
- Demonstrate and promote a collaborative approach when working with faculty and staff
- Support students in meeting various school expectations
- Support and advance school-wide initiatives
- Engage and support students of varied identities, lifestyles, and beliefs
- Create an environment that fosters open discussion with the freedom to express varied points of view
In addition, a candidate should possess the following qualities and attributes:
- Shown dedication to being a student advocate
- Demonstrated success as a confident problem solver
- Commitment to professional growth and to high professional standards
- Sense of humor, warmth of personality, and energy
- An interest in and openness to professional growth and development
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Strong collaboration and cross-cultural competency
Candidates should have at least 5 years of teaching or other relevant experience in independent schools. Candidates holding advanced degrees are preferred.
The Assistant Middle School Director should:
- Be highly organized and have excellent communication skills
- Exhibit a collaborative approach to leadership that produces effective decision making and that reveals a genuine enthusiasm for working with colleagues, sharing strategies, and
- exploring effective ways to enhance the student experience
- Have a passion for teaching and learning and find joy working with adolescents
- Cultivate an equitable and diverse Middle School community
Specific duties include:
- Provide overall assistance to the Middle School Director in the routine operation of the Middle School
- Coordinate the Student Life programming, including Advisory, assemblies, student clubs, student council.
- Develop the Advisory program scope and sequence
- Manage the logistics and preparations for student orientations and retreats
- Support faculty leaders of student organizations (affinity groups, student council, SLO)
- Plan school-sponsored social events
- Coordinate end of year events
- Work with faculty on student life matters, including participation with the student support team.
- Assist the Parents Association regarding student events
- Work with Middle School Director regarding student conduct
- Counsel students when necessary, working closely with the MS psychologist
- Attend all grade level, faculty, administrative, and other meetings
- Engage in curricular discussions
- Participate in the process of hiring faculty and staff
- Assist with the review of report cards
- Engage in various aspects of MS scheduling (including class assignments and room allocation) in coordination with the Middle School Director
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that best represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school can be found at www.bwscampus.com.
Please submit a letter of interest and a resume electronically. In your letter, highlight your education and experience specifically related to diversity, equity, and inclusion: