Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Director of Human Resources
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is looking for a Director of Human Resources. The Director of Human Resources reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and is responsible for planning, leading, directing, developing, and coordinating the policies, activities, and staff of the Human Resources (HR) department, ensuring legal compliance and implementation of the school’s mission and personnel strategy.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the daily workflow of the department and supervise the HR Manager
- Collaborate with the CFO to develop human resources operations financial strategies by estimating, forecasting, and anticipating requirements, trends, and variances.
- Develop strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to senior administrators; and establishing human resources objectives in line with the school’s objectives
- Plan, lead and implement policies, processes, and initiatives to support the school’s HR needs
- Oversee the administration of HR programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and personnel management
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, personnel management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to senior administrators
- Monitor and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations; review and modify policies and practices to maintain compliance
- Develop and execute best practices for recruitment and retention in collaboration with senior administrators
- In conjunction with senior administrators, plans and facilitates the school’s onboarding and offboarding processes
- Identify areas for improved efficiencies and streamlined processes
- Collaborate with senior administrators and outside counsel, as needed, on disciplinary matters, investigation, performance, and personnel management
- Ensure that constructive and timely performance evaluations are executed throughout the school
- Partner with senior administration in the discipline and termination of employees in accordance with school policy
- Actively contribute and participate in the school’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Facilitate professional development, training, and certification activities for HR staff and other Engage and support employees of varied identities, lifestyles, and beliefs
- Create an environment that fosters open discussion with the freedom to express varied points of view
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the CFO or the Head of School
In addition, a candidate should possess the following personal qualities:
- Strong collaboration and cross-cultural competency
- An interest in and openness to professional development
- Commitment to equity and inclusion
- A sense of humor, the warmth of personality, and energy
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that better represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school can be found at www.bwscampus.com. Please submit a letter of interest and a resume to the contact person listed below. In your letter, highlight your education and experience specifically related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Susanne McNeil Eng
Chief Financial Officer
100 S. Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049