Brentwood School inspires every students to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Fabrication Lab Innovator and Collaborator
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is seeking an experienced educator to oversee its Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership (BCIL) Fabrication Lab and engage students and faculty in real-world problem solving beginning August 19, 2021. The BCIL Fabrication Lab Innovator and Collaborator is a full-time position and will be responsible for supporting the BCIL mission statement and core skills through integration with Brentwood School’s 6-12 academic and extracurricular programming. This individual should possess a love for working with children alongside a deep knowledge of design thinking, 2D & 3D design, STEAM, building, project-based learning, and tinkering. The Fabrication Innovator and Collaborator will report to the Director of the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership.
It is expected that a successful candidate would:
- Create a welcoming and inclusive culture in the BCIL Fabrication Lab; provide training, guidance, and supervision to students as they utilize the Fabrication Lab’s resources during the school day and afterschool; develop and maintain safety standards and protocols.
- Develop and showcase to Brentwood faculty models of how to integrate the Fabrication Lab into the 6-12 curriculum; provide support and guidance to teachers for ongoing projects and courses connected to the Fabrication Lab, including the creation of criteria and rubrics for projects connected to the Fabrication Lab.
- Plan and implement special programs such as maker challenges and guest speakers that bring the Brentwood community into the Fabrication Lab and connect community partners to the Fabrication Lab.
- Maintain the Fabrication Lab, including scheduling, inventory, budgeting, room setup, equipment maintenance and updating (software and hardware).
- Serve as point person for non-entrepreneurial BCIL projects or independent studies, including guiding projects from concept to final implementation, connecting with internal and external resources, developing prototypes, and preparing students to showcase their work to an authentic audience.
- Oversee the K-12 BCIL symposium, including working with faculty and students to gather and prepare content, and oversee the promotion and execution of the event.
- Develop and teach 6-12 courses and programming that utilize the Fabrication Lab’s resources and align with the BCIL mission and skills (equivalent of one course per semester).
- Facilitate connections with other maker communities and community partners to promote collaborative opportunities and increased awareness of the BCIL.
- Collaborate with Lower School Innovation and Multimedia Specialist to develop a K-12 Scope & Sequence related to fabrication, making, and design.
- Pursue ongoing professional development in the fields of fabrication, pedagogy, and technology.
- Attend collaborative meetings for the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership and participate on Committees.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the BCIL Director and participate in the life of the school.
In addition, a candidate should possess the following qualities:
- An undergraduate degree in a STEM-related field; an advanced degree is preferred
- Experience in an educational makerspace environment
- Classroom teaching experience and strong classroom management skills
- Strong collaboration and cross-cultural competency
- An interest in and openness to professional development
- Commitment to equity and inclusion
- A sense of humor, warmth of personality, and energy
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that better represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school and the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership may be found at www.bwscampus.com. Please submit a letter of interest and a resume to the contact person listed below. In your letter, highlight your education and experience specifically related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Administrative Assistant to the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership
100 S. Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049