Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Middle School Substitute Mandarin Teacher
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is looking for a Middle School Mandarin maternity leave teacher to begin in August of 2021. We are seeking an experienced, innovative teacher to join our collaborative team. The successful candidate will embrace collaborative curriculum design and work closely as part of a teaching team to create and continuously refine curriculum. Ideally, applicants will be experienced practitioners of backward design based on clearly defined curricular understandings and have experience developing curriculum variations to challenge all learners. The curriculum is currently taught using Comprehensible Input, with proficiency as a top priority. Beginners students will reach the proficiency level of Novice High to Intermediate Low level according to ACTFL standards.
Individuals from independent, public, private, or charter schools, with prior experience in and a passion for teaching Middle School students are encouraged to apply. A minimum of a college bachelor’s degree is required; however, a master’s degree is preferred.
It is expected that a successful candidate will:
- Teach four sections of Mandarin for 7th and 8th Grade students, plus one semester of introductory 6th Grade Mandarin
- Design and coordinate curriculum with other members of the department and within teaching teams for each assigned course and liaise with other departments and centers to build cross disciplinary experiences
- Monitor and evaluate students’ progress and communicate with parents and Middle School teams regarding student progress
- Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research, and topics of importance in history pedagogy by applying it in the classroom and sharing it with teachers on a departmental and school-wide basis
- Participate in regular, purposeful pedagogy meetings and professional development sessions
- Engage and support students of varied identities, lifestyles, and beliefs
- Create an environment that fosters open discussion with the freedom to express varied points of view
- Create lessons and projects that are inclusive of the diversity and multiculturalism in our community
- Communicate effectively, with students, parents/guardians, and colleagues
- Perform additional duties and participate in the life of the school
In addition, a candidate should possess the following personal qualities:
- Commitment to professional growth and to high professional standards
- Sense of humor, warmth of personality, and energy
- An interest in and openness to professional growth and development
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Strong collaboration and cross-cultural competency
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that best represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school can be found at www.bwscampus.com
Please submit a letter of interest and a resume electronically to the contact person listed below. In your letter, highlight your education and experience specifically related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Administrative Assistant to Middle School Director
100 S. Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049