Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership
The Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership prepares community members to engage with real world challenges and explore solutions within and beyond the classroom.
Work with BCIL impacts the entire Brentwood School community, cultivating innovative problem solvers, courageous risk takers, effective managers, adept communicators, and inspired community builders. Through their involvement in BCIL, students and faculty seek answers in creative, collaborative ways and discover that their work can have an impact.
At the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership, we help students follow their curiosity beyond the textbook, grapple with questions for which there are no prescribed answers, and develop lifelong leadership skills. Experiences in the BCIL range from entrepreneurial contests that promote social change, to prototyping products designed from reusable waste materials, to exceptional professional development opportunities for our K-12 faculty. We offer a wide variety of curricular and extracurricular programs revolving around engagement with real world challenges and connect Brentwood School to the surrounding Los Angeles community, and the world.
Core Leadership Skills
Through the integration of the following leadership skills, the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership cultivates:
Innovative Problem Solvers
- Critical, creative, and design thinking
- Collaboration and co-creation; inspiring a shared vision
- Adaptability and perseverance
Courageous Risk Takers
- Brave thinking and actions
- Embracing failure as an opportunity to learn
- Being in the present
- Breaking large projects into small steps
- Seeking and incorporating feedback
- Follow-through and accountability
- Active listening
- Public speaking and group facilitation
- Media and digital literacy
Inspired Community Builders
- Cross-cultural fluency
- Empathy and conflict resolution
- Self-reflection and societal awareness